Friday, January 30, 2009

Eucatastrophe

"I sought you in the narrow ways
in soot and shifting shadows
I sought you on the mountaintops
'Till I was weak and sallow."
I paused within the middle way,
My hopes failed with the sky
As the sun fell under darkness
I fell forward with a cry.

"God of love," my cry came bitt'rly,
"Thou measurest all things well,
You know how far I am from Thee 
And how close I am to hell.
Spare just a word for the sinner
But one soft sigh for the damned
Slake his thirst who has sought for You
Across an ocean of sand."

My cry then broke off sharply and
I pitched forward to the sand
And as I lay, I heard a gasp
As if from a running man.
"Please thou give Him just a moment"
Said the deep voice of the land,
"He's run so hard to catch you that
He has hardly breath to stand."

No comments: